Sunday, July 12, 2009

Boys Boys Boys

I have been trying to think of how I can top the last blog I wrote with the adventure of getting stuck. I'm pretty sure I will not be able to make something more exciting, but I will try.

This past week was QUITE A WEEK. We had 48 high school guys, and 22 high school girls... We were a PACKED house. I burnt the tops of my fingers pretty bad steaming broccoli on Tuesday so I had blisters the rest of the week, and Well we started off Sunday and we completely ran out of Jumbalia. UH OH! I was worried that we would NEVER make it through the week food wise but then... we made a sad/glorious discovery... We forgot to make 1/2 of the boxes. So although it was sad that we were short on food, we knew that we would recover. :)

Sunday through Wednesday were a lot rougher than I expected. I was excited to have so many guys, and I was pumped because I knew we would be able to feed off of their energy much better than before. BUT.... along with their energy came chatter mouths. CLUB was difficult to get them quiet, and they weren't used to taking part in worship or anything. One big group was a private Catholic high school and the boys were getting credit. That presented an up hill battle, but at the same time I was motivated to have the boys REALLY walk away with something.

At one point during the week, I heard the boys talking and saying... I just wish this could be our schedule: Wake up, Breakfast, Ministry, Showers, Dinner, and Bed. I listened to that and thought, "WOW! He just took out every part of my job." So I knew that some of them didn't like all of the spiritual stuff, but I kept going. Most importantly, I kept praying. This was super neat because although it was the biggest struggle to quiet them down, once I "got 'em" I had 'em. They were great listeners, and despite some of the discouragement, I felt like my talks were some of my best! For me though... I thought my talks were going well but I didn't know or receive any feedback from the teens. This was different because the other weeks I would get notes and stuff as encouragement. It was harder for me to gauge and see what God was doing. However, Thursday night it became worth it.

On Thursdays we hold CLUB at Trinity United Methodist down the street because BINGO is going on in the Fire Hall. I almost like this because it is a different environment AND we try to have a more reflective mood. The message is about serving and how Christ washes His disciples feet. I explain how revolutionary this is when He does it, and all that it REALLY means. I read the Scripture, and explain it, and then always scrap the notes to talk to the group individually for the week. This is really my favorite time because God shows up. I just speak from my heart and in being BOLD in Him, I witness people change and begin to comprehend all they can do when they pursue bringing glory to God. WOW!

Well back to this specific week. Even though it was supposed to be more chill and quiet, this group still managed to bring out their loud side. The whole time up front, singing leading worship I was just praying that God would make this trip something these students would remember. A time when they REALLY encountered God. I got up in front and stressed to the students that they can make a difference and God can do AMAZING things through them if they let him. I pushed them saying that the kids they meet here, and the people they serve all have a special place in their heart. They make this HUGE impact and yet they have known them for 4 days. And I asked them.... What happens when we serve the people we live with and see everyday. I could tell God was at work because every eye was locked in listening to me. (But we all know it wasn't me.) Some started crying a little and then I explained that we want to empower them to serve at home. To show people the love of Christ and allow yourself to be loved by Him. In order to do this, we wanted to wash their leaders feet who would then wash the teens feet.

Prior to this summer I had never been a part of a foot washing service. I don't really like feet or anything, but I think my favorite part is getting a chance to pray with the adult after. It's hard to get to know the teens for a few days be a part of their spiritual walk and then never being able to follow it up. But the adult leaders DO have the opportunity to continue pushing the teens in the right direction. Taking the chance to pray for them is also helping out the teens, so I love it.

After the foot washing, the church groups have some additional debrief/talk time. So on Thursday, three of our groups were down and ready to go, while the High School group was still upstairs. Well, I walked the big group back to the Fire Hall while John waited for the boys. Later that night one of the adult leaders from the school group said, you had an entire group of 19 Senior boys crying tonight. God really did a lot.

I heard that and was in complete awe. All week long I had to trudge through CLUB. Trying and trying to speak the words of Christ, I just didn't know if it was even making an impact. But this week God showed me the reason for perseverance. I could have felt defeated by those boys but instead Christ continued to help me look at them in love. WOW!

So I now get ready to start the cycle over again. This week is hard because I wonder, what is going to be next God? I can feel that I am getting worn down with all of this and I am just praying once again, that He can be my energy and my strength. I made a goal to treat every week like it is the only one of the summer. That's not meaning I'm going to stay up late and never rest. I'm just trying to remember that although I am here day in and day out, for weeks and months, these teens are excited and this is going to be a great week for them to encounter God.

Thank you for your prayers and support. I needed them this past week and it was SO amazing to see how God provided. I received a package from Kels, a letter from Al, and a package from Mom. All prevented me from getting discouraged, and they helped remind me that I have an incredible support system pushing me to keep going here in WV. So thank you again for your prayers, and keep 'em coming. :D

It seems crazy that today is July 12th. Wow time is flying. The kids should be arriving in 1/2 hour, this week we have 41 boys, 32 girls, a 1-year old and a 5-year old. It's common that the girls outnumber the boys but that does not seem to be the case in Lincoln County. I'm sure it will be another adventure.... boys boys boys. :)


1 comment:

  1. Wow Haley! I never cease to be amazed by everything you have been able to accomplish. Good Luck! We're praying for you daily, multiple times a day. Oh and Matt loved hearing about how a country girl will survive so much he was inspired to make some cd's for you. ;-D I'm proud of you. Can't wait to read the next post!
    Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete